Monday, September 8, 2008

Joy of Reading

What we are reading these days:

Nevan just finished the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series...books 1 and 2. And he is about to start Twilight. I asked him if he would rather read something like Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing or Superfudge...something along the lines of elementary school speed. He says he wants to dig into Twilight because it's *this* thick....indicating the thickness with his hands. He wants to read the whole series. OK. I looked up the reading level for those Stephanie books and they are listed as 4.9 (4th grade). The Diary books he just finished were 5th grade level. So, heck, dig in! We might as well read it together because Twilight was on my list of books to read too. I think Whitney has already finished this entire series. She gobbles books about as fast I used to. : )

We are reading the Sandy Lane Stables series with Silvio at bedtime. He is into the horse themed series right now. A Horse for Summer is the current title.

I just finished My Sister's Keeper, fictional commentary on stem cell research. Fascinating modern day dilemma. I am juggling a few books at a time, as usual...so also reading A Fortune Teller Told Me by Tiziano Terzani, an Italian international journalist living in Asia. True story of his escapades and adventures. Very interesting.
Also reading Sofie's World, a novel about the history of philosophy;
Essential Reiki by Diane Stein;
Llewellyn's Herbal Almanac;
Self Design by Brent Cameron;
Creating a Cooperative Learning Center;
and A New Earth by Tolle.

One of these days I'll actually finish these and move on to the other 10 books I have sitting on my nightstand. We have just started a Book Club with our home schooling group...this will be an opportunity to finish some of the titles I have been wanting to read, but life kept getting in the way. You know those books that sit on the shelf and stare at you, wondering why you bought them if you weren't going to read them? those. They are great books...just waiting for the right time. I often think that the reason why we don't read books right away after getting excited about buying them is that we were probably not ready to receive the info right then. We wait for a better time...a time when the content is more pertinent to our immediate lives...a time when we will actually *do* something with the information within. Did you ever pick up a book that you haven't read in years and open it up, read a paragraph, and think...damn! that's exactly what I needed to know right now. Divine timing.

Maybe Justin can post what he's into reading these days....

No comments: