Monday, January 18, 2010

Health and Fitness 2010...it's part of the plan...

The kids are not the only ones enjoying the great outdoors and benefit marathons this year....Mom participated in the PF Chang's Rock and Roll Half Marathon on Sunday, in honor of Sally Loughrige, a friend's mom who died of pancreatic cancer in 2006. The family started a team called Sal's Pals and they walk/run the marathon every year. This was my first time in a *marathon*...which is a little different than a *walkathon*. LOL! There are some serious runners in the marathon. : ) there were over 32,000 participants. We started in downtown Phoenix and the finish line was at Sun Devil Stadium at ASU, Tempe. The Half Marathon is 13.1 miles long. I walked about 6 miles, to the 10 K marker and then decided that if I wanted to walk the next day, I should stop while I was ahead. : ) It felt wonderful to walk that long distance, though. After my car accident and subsequent broken leg, my level of physical fitness seems to have declined. It has been more challenging for me to do the types of physical exercise that I was doing before. And I am not happy about that. I walk, sporadically, in the mornings, but it certainly has not been a regular thing. Until now. My 2010 plan is to focus on my personal health and fitness! My goal is to get back into shape...and feel good all the time. This marathon was my kickstart....my personal benchmark. If I could do 6 miles without any training at all...imagine what I could do if I actually trained and had a consistent exercise regime! By next year, we are planning for our family to do the Rock and Roll Marathon together...whoever is old enough, that is. ; ) there are age requirements. I plan on crossing that finish line having put 13.1 miles under my feet. In the picture is: Gina Loughrige, Me, Heather Cates, Christine Hunter, Barb Mulvany and Gina's two little girls Willow and Sofie. : ) It was another beautiful day!!! Thank you ladies!!

No comments: